Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Outer cab corner finished!

So here it is finished... Not the easiest thing I have done, nor the nicest. But it is all steel and fairly close the passenger side.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Outer cab corner repairs

So I got off to an early start this morning and decided to fix the passenger side outer cab corner... the easy one!

This is after I had fixed the inner cab corner.  Some time with card board to make some templates and then a little simple bead rolling got it looking like new.  Unfortunately my welder died during this and that's why it looks like unfinished welds on the right side.


Three months later I got my welder back and it seems to be working like new.  I decided do this repair using several pieces because I don't have the skills to make in a single piece.  I tried to hammer form the corner in  one piece and it took quite a bit of time and effort to see that I still need to work on these skills.


Here is it finished.


I started on the drivers side also... I knew this one was going to be significantly more difficult because it had more damage.

I got part of it done using the same techniques I used on the passenger side.


Neither side is perfect, but is all metal.

I still have the actual corner piece left on the drivers side and I be working on that soon.

Have a good one!




Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Drivers side inner Cab Corner repair

So here is where I started.

 

I cut out all the rusted metal back into the good metal a little ways both inside and out and this was what was left, for now...




Right now I am just working on the inner cab corners and these are the easy ones comparatively.

I made a template on some poster board to include the channels on the back that I am guessing are drains.



I cut some cold rolled 18 gauge steel to match my template although just a little larger to make a precise fit.


I used my bead roller with the 1/8" step dies to create the channels.  Below is a rusted piece that I used to see
where they went.  Turned out well I think.



Here is my bead roller.  It started life as HF unit I got with a 25% coupon.  I have modified it to strengthen it.  The single biggest change that was made for the better was getting rid of the hand crank that came with it and put the wheel on it.  The wheel was the bottom off an old chair.  It makes rolling a pattern so much easier.


Here is the easy part of the inner fender.  I also fininshed the other half, but don't have any pics right now.  I'll add it later.



Here is the inner completed.



Have a good one!










Friday, February 17, 2017

1960 F100 Radiator Support

So I completely disassembled my front clip and from what I could see when it was on the truck it looked good. I was really hoping that the radiator support was in good shape too. I was wrong!

Here are some pics once I got it removed.  Great googly moogly!






I removed the bottom in order to clean out the rust and check the sheet metal.  It was good with just surface rust, so I cleaned it, coated it with a rust preventative spray and then painted it inside and out. I prefer VHT products, both their Rust Converter and Roll bar and Chassis Paint.



Before anything was taken apart, I made templates out of card board for the missing/rusted pieces and cut them out of 18 gauge steel.





I removed a the two horizontal braces because the radiator I plan on using was a little wider that the original radiator and would not fit.  So I have about a dozen small holes to fill on each side.

Repairing rust is dirty work, but it must be done!  There were parts of the support that had what looked to be some type of coating on it.  The only way to get it off was to scrape it off with a scraper / single edge razor.

I'll post a few more sometime later.  It is currently mocked up on the truck right now.

I love my Fabricator 211i welder!  It makes me a better welder and I need all the help I can get!

But a quote by AvE (ArduinoversersEvil) on YouTube sums it up!  "A grinder and paint, makes me the welder I ain't!"